Friday, October 17, 2008

The first SD connection.

I remember the very first SD connection. It was in front of a building at Purdue University called the Lilly Hall of Science. 


UUggghhh. That name is dumb. Kind of a lame place for the SDs to have their first connection don't you think? But, that's what happened and I can't deny it. The SDs were introduced to each other by a mutual friend named Nate Gore. (Where have you gone Nate Gore?) I remember being slightly intimidated by S-Down first time I saw him. He was an imposing presence. He's only like 6'3" but he appeared to be over 7 feet tall on that first encounter. He was wearing shades (as all cool people do) and had just come from a year spent in the greatest place on Earth, California. (Newport Beach, to be exact) So he was all bronzed and buffed and clearly I was out of my element. I thought he was a cool guy, but I figured I'd never talk to him again. He was just way to cool for me. *note* It wasn't anything that he did or said, but only my disbelief in my own coolness that made me think this way.

But, as unexpectedly as it may have seemed at the time, we became friends. I think hanging out with our mutual friends Craig and Cory Nickols pushed the friendship along. And finally, we decided to go with Darin to bring the Message of Jesus to the students of Detroit, but that is a different story. S-Down still is an imposing presence, by the way. 

Oh, one more thing, you gotta check out this picture of the SDs with the very Nate Gore who introduced us. This was taken in Panama City Beach, FL during Big Break 2001.

1 comment:

SD connections said...

that's awesome bro!! I've been on vacation in TN, so I'll be back on soon! miss you bro